Class time: 9am – 2:30pm
Location: 4001 Scots Legacy Dr Arlington, TX 76015
Classroom venue: La Quinta Inn and Suites (meet here)
Range venue: Shoot Smart – 2440 W Main St., Grand Prairie TX, 75050
Bring $15 cash to cover separate range fee
This course meets the Texas Department of Public Safety requirements* for obtaining a new/original Texas LTC (license to carry handgun).
- Class length: 5 hours
- Range time: yes (range fee NOT included)
During your class, our NRA-certified firearms instructor will cover the 4 required subjects:
- All laws pertaining to weapons and to the use of deadly force
- Handgun use, proficiency, and safety (including a live-fire test on the range)
- Nonviolent resolution of disputes
- Proper storage of handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child
There is a written exam at the end of your time in the classroom, which you must pass with a minimum score of 70% before you can move on from the classroom to the range. The exam is 25 questions long, and is comprised of both true/false and multiple choice questions.
What to bring:
- Semi-automatic pistol
- 50 rounds of ammunition
Note: please leave weapons and ammunition locked securely in your vehicle until we go to the range
- Eye and ear protection – prescription glasses and sunglasses are acceptable
- Valid photo ID
- Something to take notes with
- Pre-registration ticket or receipt
- New permit cost: $40
- Permit renewal fee: $40
- Permit valid for: 4 years from initial date of issuance, 5 years for renewals
- Minimum age: 21+ years old
- Click here to view current permit reciprocity
- Class price is not part of the new permit cost
- Permits are not issued in class – you receive a training certificate at the end of class, which you must submit with your application before you will receive your permit.
*Effective September 1, 2013, the LTC class time requirement has been reduced from 10.5 hours to 4-6 hours. Our class meets this requirement and is 5 hours long. License to Carry Handgun renewals in Texas no longer require class time – only submission of completed renewal paperwork and the required fee.